QVB AT HOME | How to make woodfire pizza at home with Vanto
06 May 2020
To bring the QVB experience home this Mother’s Day, we visited our resident woodfire pizza expert Gigi, co-owner of iconic Italian resturant Vanto, for his tips to recreating one of their iconic woodfired pizzas at home. Gigi invited his daughter Mischa to the Vanto kitchens to show us this fun way to spend time with kids at home this Mother's Day.
These homemade pizzas can be easily thrown together using everyday pantry staples that you could already have on hand.
His biggest tip however,: keep.it.simple, less is more…
2g dry yeast
15g pinch salt
Flour to sprinkle
150g tomato sauce
5 fresh basil leaves
250g mozzarella cheese
100g parmesan cheese
Drizzle of olive oil
- For the dough, pile into a large bowl the flour and dry yeast and mix together with your hands.
- Add water, oil, sugar and pinch of salt then knead together. Ensure you collect all parts of the flour.
- Sprinkle flour onto a clean surface and place the dough. Knead the dough by rolling it backwards and forwards, using your hands to stretch, pull and push the dough. Keep kneading for 10 minutes or until you have a smooth, springy, soft dough.
- Divide the dough into equal large balls approx. 250g in size.
- Place the dough balls in a lightly oiled tray, cover with tea towel and leave in a warm place to prove for 45 minutes.
- Dust a clean surface and the dough ball with a little flour. Roll into a circle about 1/2cm thick with a thicker ‘crust’ around the edges.
- Wrap the remaining balls in cling film and freeze for another day.
Constructing the Pizza
- Pre-heat your oven to 250 degrees celsius.
- Grab a crepe pan and put on moderate heat placing your dough circle in the centre. Ensur you spread to the edges to the edge of the pan.
- Spread your tomato sauce evenly on the dough leaving 2cm around the edges.
- Add a sprinkling of chunks of mozzarella and basil leaves.
- Place another pan on top to create an ‘oven’ and cook for a 2 minutes, regularly checking when the edges crisp and ‘bubble’ up.
- Place crepe pan into your pre-heated oven for 2 minutes to crisp up the edges.
- Add fresh parmesan cheese whilst it's hot to serve.
Enjoy, buon appetito!